Long Overdue Update
We are pretty good at litigation and pretty bad at self-promotion. It has been over a year since our last blog post, and a lot has happened. Here’s the quick summary.
Jessica Had A Baby!
First, and most importantly, in the summer of 2020, Jessica welcomed her first child. We are so happy for her! Jessica will be on leave until January 2021.
Lexpert/America Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada
Ryan was listed in the 2020 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, recognized for corporate commercial litigation, medical negligence, professional responsibility and class actions. He was also in the 2020 Lexpert/America Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada for corporate/commercial litigation.
Ryan was also listed in the Lexpert/Report on Business Special Edition – “Canada’s Leading Litigation Lawyers” on November 29, 2019.
Best Lawyers 2020 and 2021
Ryan was listed in the 2021 edition of Best Lawyers, recognized in the Appellate Practice, Corporate and Commercial Litigation, Health Care Law, Medical Negligence and Personal Injury Litigation categories. (He was also listed in the 2020 edition, which we forgot to
brag about publicize)
Ryan has continued to teach for a wide range of organizations. Since our last update in March of 2019, Ryan has spoken at:
- Gluckstein Personal Injury Lawyers, Risky Business Conference, “Proving Causation in Medical Malpractice Cases: A Trap for the Unwary,” October 18, 2019
- Ontario Trial Lawyers’ Association, 2019 Fall Conference, Medical Malpractice Section Chair, October 25, 2019
- Ryerson University, Law Practice Program, Trial Advocacy Workshop, December 12, 2019
- Law Society of Ontario, “A Litigator’s Guide to Concurrent Criminal, Civil and Administrative Proceedings,” January 28, 2020
- Ontario Trial Lawyers’ Association, 2020 Medical Malpractice Conference, “Expert Evidence,” February 28, 2020
- Osgoode Hall Law School Professional Development, Expert Evidence in Personal Injury Cases, “Experts and Causation,” March 4, 2020
- Ontario Bar Association, “Maintaining your Litigation Practice in a Remote Work Environment,” May 7, 2020
- Medico-Legal Society of Toronto, “Medical Malpractice: Hot Topics,” June 16, 2020
- Lenczner Slaght, Practice Points, June 19, 2020
In addition to these programs, Ryan continues to serve as an Adjunct Professor at Osgoode Hall Law School, teaching Trial Practice, and to teach in the annual Intensive Trial Advocacy Workshop.
In the spring of 2020, Ryan once again served as a coach for Osgoode’s OTLA Cup Moot team. Congratulations to Danielle Sandhu and Heather Lamourie, who took home the prizes for best opening and best closing, respectively.
Like everyone, we have been wrestling with how best to adapt to the challenges created by the COVID-19 pandemic. We continue to invest in our physical infrastructure, our personnel and exciting new technologies which will streamline and expedite the resolution of cases. Stay tuned for more updates! (hopefully sooner than 2021)
This blog post does not create a solicitor-client relationship. It contains legal information only and is not legal advice. In order to obtain legal advice, you must consult with a lawyer.